Landlord Information

Q: How Do I List My Property with the Section 8 Program?
A: Landlords are able to submit their listing of an available unit by completing the Section 8 Property Listing Form.

Q: Who qualifies and picks my tenant?
A: You must do your own tenant screening and test for suitability. The Housing Authority initially screens tenants and runs criminal history background checks on all adults. Any recent activity should be discovered during your screening.

Q: How Much Can I Rent My Unit For?
A: The NCHA has Payment Standards by bedroom size that are guidelines for determining the maximum subsidy we can pay for a family. This Payment Standard is generally a gauge of the current rental market. Each unit’s rent must be reasonable and comparable to unassisted private market rental units of similar size, location, amenities, quality, unit type, maintenance, utilities and services. Current Payment Standards can be accessed here.

Q: Who Pays the Security Deposit?
A: All tenants are responsible for their own Security Deposit pursuant to State and local laws.

Q: What Happens After I Find A Tenant?
A: Once you have identified an acceptable Section 8 Participant, complete the Request For Tenancy Approval (R4TA) form & package that the tenant provides you with. Once that document is received in our office, you will be contacted by the Inspections Department to schedule an inspection of the unit. The start date of your lease will be the date the tenant occupys the unit after it has passed inspection.

Q: What Will The Inspector Be Looking For?
A: The Housing Inspector will be checking to see whether the unit is in compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). These are minimum standards that any unit rented under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program must meet.

Q: Can I Use My Own Lease?
A: You are free to use your own lease. However, HUD regulations require that the HUD Tenancy Addendum be attached to an owner provided lease. If the owner’s lease contradicts anything in the HUD Tenancy Addendum, the HUD addendum shall prevail.

Q: When Can I Expect My First Check?
A: After we have executed the Lease and Housing Assistance Payments Contract and the owner has provided the JHA with proof of legal ownership, the contract is processed for payment. Generally, the first check takes approximately two weeks. After the first payment is generated, subsequent checks are sent on the first of each month.

Q: Will My Unit be Inspected After The Initial Inspection?
A: Yes. The NCHA inspect all participant units biennally (every other year). This is generally done near the contract anniversary date. In addition, in the case of an emergency or complaint by the owner or tenant, an Audit inspection must be requested in writing/or via email to the NCHA, who will request the inspection.

Q: Can I Cancel the NCHA Contract If I’m Not Satisfied?
A: No. Only the NCHA can cancel the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract. An owner is free to terminate a lease agreement pursuant to the terms of the lease and applicable North Dakota law. Once the Lease agreement ends, the HAP Contract terminates automatically. In the case of malfeasance by the tenant, the owner is free to initiate eviction proceedings.

Q: How Long Can I Rent To A Section 8 Family?
A: The initial lease term is for one year and will continue annually unless the tenant gives notice to move or the landlord does not wish to renew, subject to HUD’s funding for the Section 8 Program.